I love the oversized sweater trend that made a splash this fall, but let’s be honest it is not the easiest trend to wear. Anything big and baggy can lead to frumpy looks, which we all want to avoid, even on our most relaxed days. So how can you wear the oversized sweater trend without feeling like a shapeless balloon? Try the tips and techniques below and check out the polyvore collage for more mixing and matching ideas.
How to wear an oversized sweater:
- Always wear a structured and fitted bottom. A pencil skirt, a pair of skinny jeans, leggings if the sweater is long enough.
- Cinch it with a belt. To give some shape to the shapeless item try belting it at different places to see where it works best.
- Add a bold scarf. This little addition will create emphasis on your face drawing other’s attention away from the bulk of the sweater.
- Tuck it in. If you can get away with tucking it into a pair of pants, try that look. If will give you a waist that otherwise gets lost within the extra material.
- Put a fitted jacket or vest over it. This will re-proportion the overall look while still allowing you to wear the uber-comfortable sweater.
- Go for a monochromatic color scheme. Wearing all one color (unless it’s some crazy yellow or orange) always has a slimming effect.