A couple months ago I upgraded my phone, finally, to an iPhone and have now spent the last several months learning the ropes. It’s been a fun experience and one I have enjoyed. There are so many applications to try and I’ve found that a number of them make life surprisingly more simple. Here is a list of my favorite applications, at the moment.
- Instagram: This photography app allows you to capture images on the fly and then tweak them with all sorts of different colorizations. You can send the images to Twitter and Facebook, and also follow your friends who are posting their pictures.
- Shazam: Ever hear one of those songs on the radio and wish you could figure out who sings it? Or maybe you are shopping, heard a song and wondered what the lyrics are. This app listens to the song and then tells you the artist and album. It will also list the lyrics as they are sung.
- Whatsapp: Text for free with anyone else who also has the application. This is the perfect thing for all those friends who won’t pay for texting but you’d like to send a short message to from time to time.
- Kindle: Read books online and purchase them with one click through Amazon. You can also archive the books you have already read so that they won’t take up space on your smartphone. And new books automatically download without prompting.
- Yelp: Looking for a new restaurant to try or a place to get a haircut? This application lets you find local retailers, restaurants and service providers and read reviews written by others. It also allows you to write your own reviews and map the best route to the location.
- IMDb: Looking up any movie, TV show, actor or actress has never been easier. See a great flick and want to know who directed it and what else he/she has worked on? This is the fastest and best way.
- ShopSavvy: My absolute favorite shopping app. Wonder if you are being ripped off or want to know if the price tag is comparable to things you can find in other local stores or online? Pull up this app, scan the barcode and it will show you all the local stores and online locations that sell the same thing and the associated price. It has saved me many a dollar.
- MyFitnessPal: Whether interested in weight loss or eating more healthy this app allows you to chart your progress. You can key in your food to track your calorie intake. It will even calculate the additional calories needed after your daily workout.
- Wurdle: I’m a little bit of a game fan – I might happen to have too many downloaded. But this one is a favorite and it is at least slightly educational. You need to find as many words as possible by connecting the letters shown. This application helps me win play Word with Friends too.