Her theology is far more Protestant than that of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Dr Williams regards himself as a Catholic,
- albeit a liberal one from the Anglican, not Roman,
- branch of the univeral Church. He has a great
- devotion to the sacraments and the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Paradoxically, however, the Queen may share as much ground with the Pope as with her own Archbishop.
The supreme governor of the Church of England and the supreme pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church are both octogenarians dismayed by modern immorality. Neither of them thinks thatgay unions are compatible with Biblical teaching, as Dr Williams appears to. (You never know quite where you are with +Rowan.) And, although the Queen has never expressed a view on the subject, she is notthought to be a great champion of women priests.